Build and Strengthen Relationships
- Community building
- Developing healthy relationships
- Develop social-emotional understanding
- Promote and strengthen sense of belonging and ownership
Using Affective Statements
Improves students’ emotional literacy, which further improves their communication, social skills, written work and reading. Students gain greater understanding of emotions and the feelings of others.
I feel ________ (the emotion), when ________ (the occurrence).
I feel ________ (the emotion), when ________ (the occurrence) because ________ (the reason).
Asking Restorative Questions
Involves exploring what prompted the harm caused and then looking for ways to repair the harm done.
- “What happened?”
- “What were you thinking at the time of the incident?”
- “What have you thought about since?”
- “Who has been affected by what happened and how?”
- “What about this has been the hardest for you?”
- “What do you think needs to be done to make things as right as possible?”